Sorry! De informatie die je zoekt, is enkel beschikbaar in het Engels.


It is important that you are properly insured during your time in the Netherlands.

Insurance packages 

To simplify the business of arranging suitable insurance during your time in the Netherlands, it is advisable to consult your insurance company and explain that you will be studying abroad for a semester or an entire academic year. If your insurance company is unable to meet your needs, then you may consult either of the following companies, each of which offers packages specifically tailored to the needs of international students. Apart from health insurance, we urge you to also take out a liability insurance. 

Health insurance (ziektekostenverzekering) 

Dutch law requires all international students to be properly insured by an internationally recognised insurance agency for the duration of your stay. It is mandatory to have a valid health insurance that covers all of the Dutch health care costs.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
Please first check carefully whether you already have a valid health insurance that will cover your stay in the Netherlands. If you are an EU student, you can apply for a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from your own insurance company. Click here to find out more about your country’s EHIC application process. Here you can find more information about what EHIC does and does not cover.

AON Insurance
You still might need to take out an extra insurance to cover your stay abroad. For international students we offer an exclusive premium package at AON Insurance. This package is especially designed for and recommended by VU Amsterdam. An example of a possible insurance is the AON ICS Start+ package. If you are a non-EU student, you can apply for the AON ICS Complete+ package, which offers an extensive health package. Please find here extensive information on this subject and have a look at the Nuffic website. More information about AON Student Insurance can also be found in this flyer, and more information on AON's coverage can be found here.

Job or internship next to your studies
It’s important to note that if you are planning to have a job next to your studies, or doing an internship where you earn more than €150 a month or €1500 a year, you need to take out a Dutch health insurance, even if you’re covered elsewhere. More information about AON's offer for international students who are also working in the Netherlands can be found here.

General Practitioner
As a student at VU Amsterdam living in Amsterdam, you will be able to register with the GP at the University General Practice (located in the VU Medical Center on our campus) once you have a valid health insurance. More information can be found on their website. If you live outside of Amsterdam, you can look for a GP close to your home. More information about health care in the Netherlands can be found here.

Liability insurance (aansprakelijkheidsverzekering) 

If you damage someone’s property or cause an accident, then Dutch law states that you are responsible for paying the costs of this. You are therefore advised to take out a liability insurance policy, especially if you will be working in a lab or doing research using expensive instruments.

Travel insurance (reisverzekering) 

When temporarily studying in another country, most students make use of the opportunity to travel and become acquainted with new cities and countries. It is important that you have a suitable travel insurance policy to cover the costs of stolen baggage, repatriation etc.