The Global Health programme is open to both Dutch and international Students. The Faculty’s Admission Board will decide upon your admission after having evaluated your complete online application.
In order to gain admission to the Global Health Master’s programme, you will need to have at least a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited research university including at least three full years of academic study amounting to a minimum of 180 ECTS or equivalent. We do not require a GRE or GMAT test score.
Specific requirements for the Global Health Master’s programme
A successful applicant should possess the following skills and qualities:
- Good academic achievement
- Aptitude for critical analysis and logical thinking
- Experience with several scientific disciplines (for instance studying medicine, but doing work with social care during elective)
- High motivation
- Social responsibility
- Excellent social and communication skills (in English).
We assess these skills and qualities through the specific admission requirements listed below:
- A Bachelor’s degree in one of the disciplines linked to Global Health (e.g. Medical Biology, Health Sciences, Medical Anthropology, Medicine, Health Economics, Health Management, Pharmacy, Psychology, Nursing, Public policy) with basic knowledge of epidemiology/statistics (preferably at least 6 ECTS). A deficiency in the knowledge of Epidemiology can be compensated by taking additional courses (before the commencement of the study).
- A GPA of 3.0 (7.0 in the Dutch grading system) or higher. For non-EU students, the transcript and the quality of the Bachelor’s program are evaluated by the VU International Office. If the diploma or a previous study program is not known by the International Office, the file of the student is sent to the NUFFIC office for additional evaluation and advice.
- Motivation letter stating the reasons for applying for this Research Masters
- Comprehensive CV with a list of extra-curricular activities focusing on social responsibility, e.g. volunteer work or other activities showing the social qualities of the student.
- Two reference letters (one from the supervisor of the bachelor thesis or internship).
- A sufficient score on the web-based entry examination. Examination consists of an open essay question regarding a video discussing the aspects of Global Health and some scientific literature readings.
Please check here which documents you need to submit for this programme.
English language requirements
VU Amsterdam requires all applicants to take an English test. You can, however, begin your application without having the test results. Exceptions are made for students who have completed their education in Canada, USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia.
The minimum English language proficiency requirements for admission to this Master's programme are:
• IELTS: 6.5 overall
• TOEFL Internet-based test: 92 overall
• Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE): A, B, C
• Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): A, B, C
Please note that students who need a study visa must submit their English test results before 1 June. All other students have to submit the test certificate before 31 August (preferably sooner).
TOEFL and IELTS tests must have been completed no more than two years before 1 September of the year in which your course starts. Note that TOEFL MyBestScore is not accepted. Our institution code is 7947.
A PDF copy of your English test result can be sent to the following email (for non-Dutch degree holders): firstname.lastname@example.org
The general requirements regarding language proficiency are found here.