Then the Master’s in Geographical Information Systems is the programme for you.
Boost your career and make your data work for you
Check whether you meet the programme requirements and sign up
This Master’s programme focuses strongly on professional roles in which geospatial methods and techniques are applied.
There are extensive opportunities to learn from other professionals. The core composition of the student body consists of mid-career professionals working in a variety of fields of application.
A highly skilled, professional team of lecturers with academic expertise in the application of GIS in a variety of scientific and societal fields, and experience consulting with various public and private institutions, will lead the study and closely follow your development.
1. In order to be admitted to the postgraduate Master's programme, you must be in possession of an academic Bachelor’s degree from a research university that meets the following requirements:
- A GIS course of 6 EC and at least 300 level.
- Information and Research skills of 6 EC and at least 300 level.
2. The Admissions Board will investigate whether the applicant meets the admission requirements.
3. Applicants with a Bachelor's degree obtained at an institution outside the Netherlands may be asked for additional methods to prove that they meet the admission requirements.
If you do not yet fulfil the admission requirements, a Premaster’s programme is also available.
VU Amsterdam requires you to take an English test and to submit your score as a part of the application. You can begin your application, however, before you have completed the test and then submit your passing score once you have been conditionally admitted. Exceptions to the English Language Proficiency requirement are made if you have completed your education in Canada, USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia.
When applying, you should demonstrate that you have a sufficient level of proficiency in English by meeting at least one of the following standards, no more than two (2) years before the start of the programme at VU Amsterdam:
- (Academic) IELTS: at least 7.0, on all subscores
- TOEFL internet-based test at least 100
TOEFL and IELTS tests must have been completed no more than two years before 1 September of the year in which your course starts. Note that MyBestScore is not accepted.