Payment of tuition fees - General information
Tuition fees for International Bachelor’s programmes vary for EU/EEA and non-EU/EEA students.
- Payment for 2019-2020 will be opened on 15 May 2019, and once you have applied you will receive an email relating to the amount of tuition fees due.
- You must pay the tuition fees by no later than 31 August 2019. This is not applicable to degree programmes that use a selection procedure, for which the tuition fees must be paid by no later than 15 July 2019. There are several ways to pay your tuition fee. More information can be found here.
- You do not need to pay the tuition fees when you cancel your enrolment before 31 August. The direct debit mandate, where relevant, will be cancelled and any excess payment of the tuition fees will be automatically refunded.
- You may or may not be able to edit your payment details in Studielink: this depends on the status of your payment. Contact the Student Desk when you are unable to edit these details.
- Will someone else pay your tuition fees by direct debit or bank transfer? If so, you need to give your consent by completing this consent form. Send the signed form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or bring it to the Student Desk.
You can contact DUO to make arrangements for your student financing. You must notify DUO of your new degree programme in good time, if you are to continue to receive student financing.
Tuition fee rates can be found here.
Payment of tuition fees
You can pay the tuition fee in four ways:
- By direct debit authorization
You can pay in one or five instalments that are automatically deducted from your account. Under Pay tuition fees in Studielink, please select 'Digital authorization'.
- By bank transfer
You have to pay the whole amount of tuition fees at once. Under Pay tuition fees in Studielink, please select 'Other method of payment'.
- By debit card at the Central Student Desk (PIN-Maestro only! No credit cards/VISA)
You have to pay the whole amount of tuition fees at once. Under Pay tuition fees in Studielink, please select ‘Other method of payment’.
- By Bewijs Betaald Collegegeld (BBC)
A declaration of another educational institute which states that you have already paid your tuition fee there. Under Pay tuition fees in Studielink, please select 'Other method of payment'.
- By direct debit authorization
Payment by direct debit authorization
You can give direct debit authorization for payment in one lump sum or in five instalments. The tuition fee will then be automatically withdrawn from your bank account. The deadline for giving direct debit authorization is 31 August (if you want to start your education on 1 September). For selection-based study programmes, the deadline is earlier. If we have not received payment by 31 August then your enrolment will not be completed on time and you cannot start your education as of 1 September. So make sure you pay the tuition fee on time!
If you decide to cancel your enrolment application before 1 September, then you do not have to pay the tuition fee. If you have already given direct debit authorization, this will be cancelled automatically. If you are not yet admitted to the study programme, then you can already give direct debit authorization for the tuition fee: this is cancelled automatically if you do not finish your enrolment application or it is rejected before 1 September.
The authorization is only complete when you receive an e-mail stating that the direct debit authorization has been confirmed. If you have made a mistake in filling in your payment details, then you can no longer correct this yourself. In this case please contact the Student Desk.
PLEASE NOTE: You need a bank account from a bank in the SEPA area for direct debit authorization.
You can only pay by direct debit authorization if you (or the person who is going to pay) have a bank account from a bank in the SEPA area. If someone else is paying, then he/she is not able to confirm the authorization in Studielink when he/she doesn't have a DigiD (you can only get a DigiD when you are registered in the Netherlands and have a Dutch social security number). Use the form which you can find further on the page in this situation.
If you give direct debit authorization for the tuition fee from a bank in England, this can only be done based on IBAN and BIC code. If the British bank also needs an intermediary code, it is not possible to pay by direct debit authorization from this bank. In this case please pay from a different bank, preferably a Dutch bank.
If one of these conditions is not met, then you cannot pay by direct debit authorization. In that case, you (or the person who is going to pay) must transfer the whole amount of tuition fee in one lump sum to Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam on 31 August at the latest.
Please note: after arrival in the Netherlands the International Office can help you open a Dutch bank account on the arrival days. After opening a Dutch bank account you can fill in a paper form for payment by direct debit authorization in 1 or 5 instalments.
- Apply for DigiD (a Dutch home address and a BSN number are required)
- Pay the tuition fee by bank transfer
- Contact the Student Desk
Do you wish to pay by direct debit authorization in one single instalment?
The whole amount of tuition fee will be collected from your account at the end of September.
Do you wish to pay by direct debit authorization in five instalments?
The tuition fee will be collected from your account in five equal instalments (the total amount of tuition fee you need to pay is divided into five). €24 administration costs will be added to the first instalment. The direct debit authorization cannot be terminated before the running time is finished.
The tuition fee will be collected around the following dates:
Academic year 2019-2020 Academic year 2020-2021 Instalment 1 25 September 2019 Instalment 2 25 November 2019 Instalment 3 27 January 2020 Instalment 4 25 March 2020 Instalment 5 25 May 2020
How do you give a direct debit authorization?
From the beginning of May, you can give a direct debit authorization in Studielink. First, you need to fill in your payment details. Then the amount of tuition fee you need to pay is calculated. This takes a maximum of 24 hours. You can confirm the authorization when you receive an e-mail stating this. This action is then in ‘my to-do list’ in Studielink.
There are two possibilities:
- You are paying yourself: log in on Studielink with your DigiD and confirm the direct debit authorization.
- Someone else is paying: send the e-mail with the activation code you receive in your inbox to the person who is going to pay. This person needs to log in on Studielink with his/her DigiD. In Studielink he/she can edit the account holder’s details (account number, name and address). Subsequently he/she confirms the authorization.
How do you give a direct debit authorization in Studielink?
- Log in on Studielink and choose ‘Enter your payment details’ in ‘My to-do list’. This can only be done after you have sent in a request for enrolment in the programme you want to follow, and after you filled in your pre-education.
- Choose the country of your bank. Indicate you pay through a bank account from a bank in the SEPA area, because you cannot give a direct debit authorization when you have a bank account from outside the SEPA area. In that case, you can transfer the whole amount of tuition fee at once.
- As a payment method, choose Digital authorization.
- Fill in all requested details.
- Confirm the authorization after you receive an e-mail stating this. This takes a maximum of 24 hours. The action ‘Confirm digital authorization’ will then be in ‘My to-do list’.
- You receive an e-mail with the statement that the authorization is confirmed. Only after you receive this e-mail, the payment is actually done. So make sure to keep an eye on your mailbox.
Don’t forget to confirm the authorization on 31 August at the latest (when starting your study programme on 1 September). This does not account for selection-based programmes, in that case, the deadline is earlier.
Once you gave a direct debit authorization you cannot change the payment details (for example the account number or number of instalments) anymore. After choosing for one or five instalments, the person who is paying your tuition fee cannot change this anymore. In these cases please contact the Student Desk and use the direct debit authorization form for changing your payment details.
Payment by bank transfer
If you are paying the tuition fee by transfer you have to pay the whole amount of tuition fee at once. The money needs to be transferred before 31 August. This does not account for selection-based programmes, in that case, the deadline is earlier.
Transfer the tuition fee from a Dutch bank account
The whole amount of tuition fee can be transferred to:
Account holder: Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam IBAN: NL49DEUT0488004470
Please remember to quote your name and student number!
When asked in Studielink which payment method you want to use, please choose 'Other method of payment'.
Transfer the tuition fee from a foreign bank account
The whole amount of tuition fee can be transferred to:
Account holder: Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam Name of the bank: Deutsche Bank Nederland NV Address of the bank: De Entree 99-197, 1101 HE Amsterdam, The Netherlands IBAN: NL49DEUT0488004470 BIC: DEUTNL2N
Please remember to quote your name and student number!
When asked in Studielink which payment method you want to use, please choose ‘Other method of payment’.
When paid from abroad, all banking costs are to be paid by the applicant.
Is someone else paying your tuition fee through a PIN or by transfer? Then you need to give consent by using this consent form. Please hand in the signed form via email@example.com or come to the Student Desk in the main building (central hall, ground floor).
Proof of payment of tuition fees by BBC (Bewijs Betaald Collegegeld)
A Bewijs Betaald Collegegeld (BBC) is a proof of payment of tuition fees. If you are studying at another institution besides Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, you only need to pay tuition fees once. A BBC acts as a proof for the other institution that you have paid tuition fees.
Are you already studying at Vrije Universiteit and are now also starting at another institution?
When paying the regular statutory tuition fee you can apply for a Bewijs Betaald Collegegeld (BBC) at the Student Desk. You can hand in the BBC at the other institution. You will have to check yourself if the BBC is accepted by the other institution. If this is not the case, then please return the BBC to the Student Desk so this can be administered.
Are you already studying at another institution and are now also starting at Vrije Universiteit?
You can apply for a BBC at the other institution and hand it in at the Student Desk. The Student Administration determines if the BBC is accepted. If this is not the case, then the BBC will be returned to you.
PLEASE NOTE: You cannot pay with a BBC if you have to pay the institutional fee or if you are a premaster's student.
If you need to pay the institutional fee at Vrije Universiteit or if you are a premaster's student, a BBC will not be accepted. In these cases, you need to pay the total amount to Vrije Universiteit. An exception to this is an enrolment as a secondary course student. In this case, the BBC is accepted.
How do I apply for a BBC at Vrije Universiteit?
Contact the Student Desk and apply for a BBC. You can also go to the desk in the main building. In the application, please state your student number and the name of the institution for which you need the BBC. A BBC includes an authentic stamp and autograph so it cannot be sent digitally: you need to pick up the document yourself or it will be mailed by post to your correspondence address.
Cancelling your enrolment at Vrije Universiteit.
If you have received a BBC from Vrije Universiteit and handed this in at the other institution your enrolment will only be cancelled:
- After you return this BBC to the Student Desk of Vrije Universiteit.
- After you hand in a proof of cancellation of enrolment from the other institution at the Student Desk.
Cancelling your enrolment at the other institution
If you handed in a BBC to Vrije Universiteit and you now want to cancel your enrolment at the other institution, the institution will ask for the BBC back before they can cancel your enrolment. However, we never give the original BBC back because we need a declaration of payment for the enrolment period for accountancy/technical reasons.
The procedure is therefore as follows:
- You must make a request for cancellation of enrolment in Studielink. We will then cancel your enrolment from the first day of the month following your request. You will get an e-mail stating this. You can use this e-mail to indicate at the other institution that you are no longer studying at Vrije Universiteit.
- If this is not enough for them, then we need to receive an adjusted BBC for the time period you were enrolled at Vrije Universiteit. You can then hand the old BBC back in at the other institution.
Are you a secondary course student?
If you a secondary course student at Vrije Universiteit, then you cannot send in a request for cancellation of enrolment via Studielink. In this case, please tell the Student Desk from which date on your enrolment is cancelled at the other institution. We will end your enrolment at Vrije Universiteit at the same date. The email you receive subsequently can be used to indicate at the other institution that you are no longer a student of Vrije Universiteit.
Funding your study
At some point, most students in the Netherlands encounter the Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs, commonly known as DUO. This organisation is mostly known for providing students with student finance and the student travel product. Depending on residency status, course registration and age, international students can also get funding from DUO. You can find all the information about the requirements and the amounts on DUO’s website for international students.