Opening a bank account
Do I need a bank account?
- As an EU/EEA student, you do not need a Dutch bank account.
- If you already have an IBAN bank account in your home country, it is not necessary to open a Dutch bank account.
- If you are a non-EU/EEA student, you need to make an appointment at a bank office in order to get a student account. You can choose between the ING bank and ABN Amro bank. Instructions on how to do this, can be found below.
Steps when creating a student bank account
1. Collect the necessary documents
- A valid ID (passport, ID card, official residence document)
- You will need your Declaration of Registration (DoR) from VU Amsterdam in order to open a student account. This declaration is available from the moment you are registered at our university, and can be collected digitally via the 'Complete registration' page in VUnet.
- Your citizen service number (BSN). When you register in the BRP you will receive a BSN. You can fill this in online. If you do not have a BSN there are still some possibilities. More information can be found at the bottom of this page.
- For ING bank: ING bank asks students with a foreign ID to show them their Dutch home address with an original extract from the Personal Records Database ('Basis Registratie Personen' in Dutch, or BRP). This document is available at the municipality where you are registered. If you do not have a BRP, it's best to open a bank account at ABN Amro or Bunq bank (see below).
2. Make an appointment
To open a student account at an ING office, it is recommended to make an appointment via the website. Do not forget to bring the documents that are mentioned in step 1! If you do not bring the BRP with you to the appointment, ING can only open a payment account / 'Orange Package' for you. This package has a monthly fee, while the student account does not. You can find the current rates for the Orange package on the ING website (in Dutch). Here you can find more detailed instructions.
ING Service Point
An ING Service Point differs from an ING Office. At an ING Service Point, it is only possible to open a payment account / 'Orange Package', and not a student account. As mentioned above, you pay a monthly fee for this package. An appointment is neither necessary nor possible at an ING Service Point. You can just walk in there and set up the payment account.
ABN Amro bank
You can request a student account at an ABN Amro bank via their website. After this, an employee will reach out to you in order to make an appointment at one of ABN Amros bank offices. Do not forget to first collect the documents that are mentioned in step 1! The ABN Amro International Student Package consists of a personal account, debit card and access to internet/mobile banking. The Student package is free of charge.
Note: please make sure to fill in the correct information and to collect all necessary documents, in order for ABN Amro to process your application in time.
Bunq is an online bank. You can easily open your account online and you only need to bring a valid ID to your appointment.
In case you do not have your BSN yet, or if you are a minor, there are still options available. See below for more information.
Opening a bank account without a citizen service number (BSN)
It is possible to open a bank account at ING bank before having your BSN. However, you do need to hand in the BSN at a later time.
You need to live in the Netherlands in order to open a bank account at ING bank. If you do not have your BSN yet, you need to bring your Tax Identification Number (TIN), and submit your BSN as soon as possible. The process is as follows:
1. Go to the ING website.
2. Fill in the online application form.
3. Make sure to bring the necessary documents: a valid ID, your declaration of enrolment (DoR), the extract from the Personal Records Database (BRP) and your Tax Identification Number (TIN) instead of your BSN.
Here you can find more detailed instructions.
ABN Amro bank
You need to live in the Netherlands in order to open a bank account at ABN Amro.
The process is as follows:
1. Go to the ABN Amro website and fill in the application form.
2. An ABN Amro employee will contact you within 48 hours.
3. During a physical appointment at the bank office, you hand over the necessary documents. Do not forget to bring identification.
4. You will receive a bank card, pin and activation code within 5 working days.
It is possible to open a bank account before having your BSN. However, you do need to hand in the BSN at a later time.
Bunq is an online bank. Students can open a bank account here without a BSN (but do need to submit it within 3 months) and must have an address within EEA. You can easily arrange this online and you only need to bring a valid ID.
Opening a bank account as a minor
ABN Amro bank
When you are still a minor, it is possible to open a bank account at ABN Amro.
- Make an online appointment at ABN Amro.
- Make sure to provide the following information in advance:
a. Two application forms: one filled in by yourself, and one by one of your parents
b. The necessary documents on top of this page
c. A copy of the parents' ID
d. A filled in declaration of consent
- ABN Amro will set up a date for a video call with both you and your parents.
When you are still a minor, it is possible to open a bank account at Bunq bank.