List of diplomas per country
The diplomas of the countries in the list below are considered to meet the general admission requirement of holding a secondary education diploma that gives access to Dutch universities.
If your country is not on this list, it might still be possible to gain admission. Your International Student Advisor will assess each application individually.
Please note that our diploma list may be updated for future intakes. No rights can be derived from this list and the final decision on admission to the programme will be determined by the International Office.
The International Office reviews all applications individually due to their distinctive nature. Therefore, the only way to determine whether you are eligible for admission is by submitting an official application via Studielink and providing all required documentation in our student portal VUnet. After you have done so you will be informed whether you are eligible for admission by one of our International Student Advisors.
Next to the general admission requirements, each Bachelor’s programme has its own specific admission requirements and these requirements will be taken into consideration while assessing your application. Please check the specific admission requirements on the page of your Bachelor's degree programme.
For International Students
Attestation du Baccalauréat and at least 1 or 2 years academic education at an internationally recognised university.
National Senior Certificate and at least 1 year academic education at an internationally recognised university.
Senior middle school graduation certificate (Gaozhong), a high Gaokao score and/or one year of study at an internationally recognised university
- Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) with all subjects level 3-5
- Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (HKALE) - Advanced Level
- All India Senior School Certificate (CBSE) with A1, A2 or B1 grades in 5 academic subjects
- Indian School Certificate (CISCE) with least a 75% GPA calculated over the results of 5 academic subjects
- Migration Cum Transfer Certificate of the Senior Secondary School Examination (NIOS) with a score of A, B of C in 5 academic subjects
Ijazah Sekolah Menengah Atas (SMA) obtained at a highly ranked school with a grade average of at least 75% + SKHUN
Certificate of Completion of Secondary School Studies + Pre-University Certificate and at least 1 or 2 years academic education at an internationally recognised university
Cambridge GCE A level in 3 H2 + 1 H1 content-based subjects + General Paper/Knowledge and Inquiry (5 different subjects in total)
High School Certificate and one year of study at an internationally recognised university
Sri Lankan General Certificate of Education Advanced level with at least three subjects at GCE-A level with minimum grade C
- Bang Tot Nghiep Pho Thong Trung Hoc and one year of study at an internationally recognised university
- Bang Tot Nghiep Pho Thong Trung Hoc obtained at a high school for the gifted with a minimum GPA of 80%
Diplomë e Maturës Shtetërore / Diploma e Maturës Shteteröre Profesionale
Reifeprüfung/Matura, awarded by an Allgemeinbildende Höhere Schule
- Algemeen Secondair Onderwijs (ASO)
- Certificat d’enseignement Sécondaire Supérieur
Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Diploma o položenom maturskom ispitu (RS)
- Diploma o završenoj srednjoj školi (FiBH) (Secondary School Leaving Diploma)
Diploma za Sredno Obrazovanie, Academic stream
Svjedodžba o (državnoj) maturi
Apolityrio Lykeiou with an overall average of at least 16/20
Vysvědčení o maturitní zkoušce obtained at a Gymnázium
- Studentereksamenbevis (STX)
- Bevis for Højere Forberedelseseksamen (HF)
Gümnaasiumi lõputunnistus with the Riigieksamitunnistus (state exam) including at least 3 state exam subjects
- Matriculation Examination Certificate
Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife
Apolityrio Genikou Lykeiou with an overall average of at least 16/20
Gimnaziumi Erettsegi Bizonyitvany
Stúdentspróf (Matriculation Examination), awarded by a Menntaskóli
Leaving Certificate with at least 6 exam subjects of which at least 2 subjects at higher level with a result of A, B or C, or with a result of H1-H4
Diploma di Superamento dell’Esame di Stato Conclusivo, awarded by a Liceo Classico/Scientifico/Linguistico/Scienze Humane.
Atestāts par vispārējo vidējo izglītību
Brandos Atestatas from a Gimnazija or Licejus
Diplôme de Fin d'Études Secondaires - Général
Diploma za položena državna matura
Matriculation Certificate Examination, awarded by University of Malta
Vitnemål for Videregående Opplaering, with a clear academic focus
Swiadectwo Dojrzalosci Liceum Ogolnoksztalcacego
Diploma de Bacalaureat (obtained after 2005)
Attestat o Srednem (Polnom) Obshchem Obrazovanii and at least 1 year academic education at an internationally recognised university
Diploma o stečenom srednjem obrazovanju when studied for four years
Vysvedčenie o Maturitnej skúške awarded by a Gymnázium
Bachillerato (Titulo de Bachiller) and the Prueba de Acceso a Estudios Universitarios (PAU) or the Evaluación de Bachillerato para el Acceso a la Universidad (EBAU) / Evaluación para el Acceso a la Universidad (EVAU) with a score of at least 6.0 (apto)
Slutbetyg från Gymnasieskolan or Högskoleförberedande Examen with one of the following programmes:
- Ekonomiprogrammet/ Business Management and Economics Programme
- Estetiska programmet/ Arts Programme
- Humanistiska programmet/ Humanities Programme
- Naturvetenskapsprogrammet/ Natural Science Programme
- Samhällsvetenskapsprogrammet/ Social Science Programme
- Teknikprogrammet/ Technology Programme
- Maturity Certificate
- Certificat de Maturité
Lise Diplomasi obtained at a highly ranked school with a cumulative GPA of 80 percent on the final diploma
Atestat pro zagal’nu serednyu osvitu, passing the independent external examination (EIT) and at least 1 year of academic education at an internationally recognised university.
Applicants from the United Kingdom can find further information about admission on the information page for UK applicants.
- At least 3 GCE A-levels (A2) in general, academic subjects with an A*, A, B or C grade + 3 GCSE’s with grade A*, A, B or C/grade 4-9 in six different subjects.
Note that AS-levels and BTECS are not considered to be equivalent to the Dutch pre-university diploma. When you apply, upload your GCSE results + predicted A-level grades (official school statement).
- Scottish Qualifications Certificate with 2 Advanced Highers (plus 4 Highers)
Certificado de Conclusão do 2° Grau or Certificado de Conclusão de Ensino Médio and 1 or 2 year academic education at an internationally recognised university.
Licencia de Enseñanza Media and at least 1 year of academic education at an internationally recognised university.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) with at least 6 university preparation courses (U or M level) with a minimum average score of 70% for these subjects (Ontario)
- Diploma d’Etudes Collégiales (DEC) préuniversitaire (Quebec)
- High School Diploma with a relatively large number of academic courses in grades 11 and 12 with good grades
United States of America
- High School diploma + at least 4 College Board Advanced Placement (AP) exam certificates* with grade 3, 4 or 5.
*AP Seminar, AP Research, AP Capstone and vocational subjects are not accepted.
- Associate in Arts/Sciences degree (transfer program) with a clear academic curriculum and good GPA (3.0 or higher). These diplomas are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
NCEA Level 3 (with sufficient credits from general level 3 subjects)
European Baccalaureate (Schola Europaea)
3 IGCE A-levels in in general, academic subjects with an A*, A, B or C grade
International Baccalaureate Diploma
International Baccalaureate Diploma. Only the full diploma is accepted.