There are several options available to you. You find them on this page.
Opening a bank account
Do I need a bank account?
- As an EU/EEA student, you do not need a Dutch bank account.
- If you already have an IBAN bank account in your home country, it is not necessary to open a Dutch bank account.
- If you are a non-EU/EEA student, you need to make an appointment at a bank office in order to get a student account. You can choose between the ING bank and ABN Amro bank. Instructions on how to do this, can be found below.
Steps when creating a student bank account
1. Collect the necessary documents
- A valid ID (passport, ID card, official residence document)
- You will need your Declaration of Registration (DoR) from VU Amsterdam in order to open a student account. This declaration is available from the moment you are registered at our university, and can be collected digitally via the 'Complete registration' page in VUnet.
- Your citizen service number (BSN). When you register in the BRP you will receive a BSN. You can fill this in online. If you do not have a BSN it is often possible to provide this later on in the process.
- For ABN Amro bank: TIN/FIN number (if you have to pay taxes in your home country).
- For ING bank: ING bank asks students with a foreign ID to show them their Dutch home address with an original extract from the Personal Records Database ('Basis Registratie Personen' in Dutch, or BRP). This document is available at the municipality where you are registered. If you do not have a BRP, it's best to open a bank account at ABN Amro or Bunq bank (see below).
2. Make an appointment
ABN Amro bank
International students can open an ABN AMRO Student Package, that includes:
- A Dutch bank account, debit card and access to Internet Banking and Mobile Banking
- A debit card that can be used in every store in the Netherlands and also on the University campus
- A card reader (E.dentifier)
- The Student Package is free of charge for International Students.
Unfortunately it is not possible for International Students to apply for a Credit Card.
From Monday February 1st 2021 it will be possible to open a bank account at ABN AMRO bank for all international students with their residence in the Netherlands. After you have applied online for a Student Package, immediately make an appointment using our online form. During the appointment your identity will be verified, your documents checked and you may sign the application form. Please make sure you have the required documents at hand during your appointment with ABN AMRO to finalize your application successfully: you will receive an account number, bank card, pin and activation code within 5 working days.
To open a student account at an ING office, it is recommended to make an appointment via the website. Do not forget to bring the documents that are mentioned in step 1! If you do not bring the BRP with you to the appointment, ING can only open a payment account / 'Orange Package' for you. This package has a monthly fee, while the student account does not. You can find the current rates for the Orange package on the ING website (in Dutch). Here you can find more detailed instructions.
ING Service Point
An ING Service Point differs from an ING Office. At an ING Service Point, it is only possible to open a payment account / 'Orange Package', and not a student account. As mentioned above, you pay a monthly fee for this package. An appointment is neither necessary nor possible at an ING Service Point. You can just walk in there and set up the payment account.
Bunq is an online bank. You can easily open your account online and you only need to bring a valid ID to your appointment.
In case you do not have your BSN yet, or if you are a minor, there are still options available. See below for more information.
Opening a bank account without a citizen service number (BSN)
It is possible to open a bank account at ING bank before having your BSN. However, you do need to hand in the BSN at a later time.
You need to live in the Netherlands in order to open a bank account at ING bank. If you do not have your BSN yet, you need to bring your Tax Identification Number (TIN), and submit your BSN as soon as possible. The process is as follows:
1. Go to the ING website.
2. Fill in the online application form.
3. Make sure to bring the necessary documents: a valid ID, your declaration of enrolment (DoR), the extract from the Personal Records Database (BRP) and your Tax Identification Number (TIN) instead of your BSN.
Here you can find more detailed instructions.
ABN Amro bank
If you apply for an bank account you don’t need a BSN number, but it’s mandatory to provide us with you BSN number within 6 weeks. You can provide us your BSN number by using the ABN AMRO app or ABN AMRO Internet Banking.
You have to go through the following steps.
Step 1: Log in on ABN AMRO Internet banking
Step 2: Go to self service
Step 3: Manage data
Step 4: Scroll to Change Tax details and use the pencil
Step 5: Fill in your BSN number
It is possible to open a bank account before having your BSN. However, you do need to hand in the BSN at a later time.
Bunq is an online bank. Students can open a bank account here without a BSN (but do need to submit it within 3 months) and must have an address within EEA. You can easily arrange this online and you only need to bring a valid ID.
Opening a bank account as a minor
ABN Amro bank
When you are still a minor, it is possible to open a bank account at ABN Amro.
- Make an online appointment at ABN Amro.
- Make sure to collect the following document before your appointment:
- Passport or ID-card, valid during your entire stay in the Netherlands
- An official statement of your Dutch higher education institution (e.g. the registration letter, letter of acceptance or student card) in which your status as a student is mentioned, as well as the period of time you’re supposed to be staying here
- Copy of ID/Passport of your parent(s) and or guardian(s)
- Filled in Declaration of consent
- TIN/FIN number (If you have to pay taxes in your home country)
Please note: Your parent(s) and/or guardian(s) need to be present at the appointment, either in person or by means of video chat.
When do I receive my bank account number?
You will receive an account number, bank card, pin and activation code within 5 working days after your appointment.
When you are still a minor, it is possible to open a bank account at Bunq bank.